9 of the Best Lower Abs Exercises
Lower Abdominal Workout – 9 Killer Abs Exercises
The modern obsession for having killer flat abs is getting hotter every year. I constantly hear from guys wanting to know how they can get a six pack, while women ask how to lose their lower pooch for a super flat, tight tummy.
It’s really no wonder that I get so many of those messages.
We all see how perfect abs are glorified on a daily basis.
Ripped and bare midi’s are being shown off by models and celebs all over the place.
We see them in their underwear, bikinis or even completely naked!
They’re shamelessly posting selfies on facebook & instagram; displayed on web ads, billboards, print magazines, tv shows and movies…
It seems all the hottest Hollywood hotties have to keep serious sculpted bods with killer abs these days. They’re showing off the pinnacle of abdominal craftsmanship and have made ownership of an uber-toned torso the embodiment of physical glamour.
Sculpted lower abs are really the final piece of the fittest of fittie’s abdominal puzzle.
They are the realization of perfecting a six-pack — or possibly even an eight-pack. Since body fat drops from top-to-bottom, the lowest belly fat region is the last melt off (and the absolute first to return if your diet slips for too long).
So just by using yoga a mat, bench, exercise ball and good old-fashioned body weight, I’ve got you a list – complete with pictures and short videos – of the nine most effective lower ab exercises of all time.
These moves will hit the lower portion of the rectus abdominus and sculpt a deep v-cut.
This list of abs exercises ranges in difficulty, from beginner to advanced. So if you are a total fitness newbie, definitely start off trying the beginner level moves. Once you improve your fitness, move on to the moderate and advanced exercises as you feel a gain in strength.
Even if you do thousands of abs exercises, you will never see a six pack or have flat abs if there’s still fat covering them.
Also, you can check out my other articles about fat loss.
Visibly sculpted abs are the result of low body fat and achieved through the proper exercises, like those below.
Not sure how much fat you need to lose? Use the easy calculator found on the home page to quickly figure it out. Click here: Home Page (it will open a new page on a separate tab).
To effectively melt body fat faster, start doing HIIT workouts (if you’re fit enough) as well as some weight-training. Just doing ab’s exercises alone will not be enough to burn away excess fat from the abdominal region.
Even more importantly, you’ll need to examine your eating habits.
The truth is, 70% of fat loss success is attributed to your diet.
You can tighten and build all kinds of glorious muscle, but it will be hidden away under your belly fat unless you eat & drink properly.
So keep reading further down this page to learn the 9 abs exercises, but also check out my post titled:
3 Ways to fire Up Your Fat Burning Furnace to learn about some faster ways to blast the belly blubber.
Lower Abs Exercises – 5 Beginner Level Moves
- Lie flat on your back with your legs in tabletop position. If you’re on a flat bench, hold on behind your head
- Without moving your upper back forcefully contract your lower abs, lift your butt off the floor, and pull your knees inward toward your head.
- When your knees reach chest-height, stop and hold for half a second, then slowly return to the start.
- Repeat this for 12-20 reps. Once you’re at the point where you can do 20 reps, add a light dumbbell in between your feet to increase the difficulty.
Ab V Holds
- Lay on the floor or on a flat bench.
- Have both hands at your side. Lift both your legs at the same time with torso to 45º angle. Your body should form a “V.” Keep your legs straight and maintain strong posture throughout.
- Brace your core, contract your lower/upper abs, and hold the “V” position for 30 seconds – up to 2 minutes.
Exercise Ball Leg Lifts
- Lay flat on the ground, facing up with an exercise ball in between your ankles.
- While crunching your upper abs, contract your lower abs, then squeeze the ball with your ankles, and raise it up towards the sky until your legs are straight at a 90° angle to your body.
- Hold the ball at the top for just half a second, brace your core, and slowly lower the ball down it’s just a slight bit above the floor (don’t let it touch the ground).
- Also hold at the bottom for half a second.
- Repeat this for 12-20 reps.
Decline Planks with Exercise Ball
- Place your feet firmly on top of an exercise ball and fully extend your legs out into full plank position.
- Keeping your weight firmly on your forearms, brace your abs, tighten your core, and maintain a straight line along the top of your body.
- Hold this position for 45 seconds or longer – but without letting your body sag as it can cause lower back stress.
Bench Ab V-Ups
- Be seated on a flat bench so that your body is positioned perpendicular to its length. Anchor your body with your bum at all times.
- Grab the back of the bench, drop your torso backwards, and extend your legs forward until your entire body is straight and parallel to the floor.
- Simultaneously pull in your lower abs and crunch your upper abs to form a “V” with your quads and stomach. Keep your abs tight, a straight back, and strong posture throughout.
- Repeat for 15-20 reps. Once this becomes too easy, increase the difficulty by holding a light weight in between your feet.
Lower Abs Exercises – 2 Moderate Level Moves
Ab Pulse Ups
- Lie flat on your back on the floor or on a flat bench. If you’re on the floor place your hands under your butt (like in the pic) If you’re on a bench place your hands behind your head to produce a deep stretch.
- Tighten up your core, contract your lower abs, and raise your legs until they’re 100% vertical. Your body should be forming a 90º angle. This is your starting position.
- Now squeeze your butt & lower abs and use your hips to push your legs directly upwards. This is called a “pulse.” Don’t bend your knees.
- Hold at the top for a second, then slowly lower and allow your bum to briefly touch the bench or floor.
- Immediately repeat the pulsing motion for a full set.
- Once you’re able to do 15 reps easily, do these with a light dumbbell in between your feet. Continue to increase the weight every time you can easily hit 15 reps. The increase in resistance will stimulate new muscle growth.
Stability Ball Jackknives
- Place your feet and shins on top of an exercise ball.
- Fully extend outwards onto your forearms to form the push up position.
- Keeping your abs tight, slowly draw in your lower abs, bringing your knees towards your chest and roll the ball inwards towards your hips.
- Bring the ball in until your quads are perpendicular to the floor. Hold for half a second and return to the starting position.
- Repeat for 12-20 reps.
Lower Abs Exercises – 2 Advanced Level Moves
Exercise Ball Pike
- Position your feet and shins firmly on top of an exercise ball.
- With your arms straight, fully extend outwards until you are in the push up position.
- Do not bend your knees, hunch or arch your back. Press your toes into the ball, contract your lower abs, and lift your bum into the air. You should form an upside down “V” at the top.
- Slowly lower back down into the push up position.
- Repeat for 12-20 reps.
Hanging Leg Raises
- Hang from a pull-up bar with your hands set at shoulder width.
- Keep your back straight then contract your lower abs and slowly raise your legs up until they’re parallel with the floor. It’s important not to swing, rock, or use any momentum. You must use a slow and controlled movement.
- Hold for half a second, then lower legs and return to the bottom.
- Repeat for 10-20 reps.
- As your abs get stronger gradually increase the height of your legs. Move from waist height, to chest height, to bar height over time.
- If hanging leg raises are just too difficult when you first attempt them, substitute with hanging knee raises. Repeat the same motion, except with your knees bent.
Good luck with your journey to creating awesome abs!
Want to be toned from top to bottom & have the complete killer body? Then get Insanity. It will kick you into top shape like nothing else.